Coming up in 2019, the “Cretan Chess Tour” will feature Crete as an international chess destination. A series of match events will be held in Heraklion, in Hersonissos, at the village of Anogia, and in Agios Nikolaos, according to a press conference from Galaxy Hotel in the island’s capital.
The “Cretan Chess Tour” will feature the four destinations hosting the following major chess events:
- 29 April – 27 May (Heraklion) Closed international tournament GM/IM.
- 8th-14th May (Peninsula) International at Lyttos Beach Hotel.
- 15-23 May (Peninsula), 3rd international open tournament at Lyttos Beach Hotel
- 18-25 August (Anogia) 8th international tournament.
- 26 August-2 September (Ag. Nikolaos), 1st international tournament
- From 3-10 September (Heraklion) 27th open tournament at Galaxy Hotel
- 11-19 September (Anogia) G/M, I/M international tournaments.
Officials from all four destinations pointed out the potential for Crete becoming an international chess destination.
In other chess news, Quality Chess Academy