The World Legacy Awards Call for Entries was announced yesterday. In a collaboration in between National Geographic and ITB Berlin, the awards will will showcase the leading travel and tourism companies, organizations and destinations.
Applications are being accepted from now until August 20th for a competitive process which will culminate in an awards ceremony at ITB Berlin in March 2015, and winners being featured in National Geographic Traveler magazine and other National Geographic media. These presigous awards will encompass the following categories:
- Earth Changers — Recognizing cutting-edge leadership in environmentally friendly business practices and green technology, from renewable energy and water conservation to zero-waste systems and carbon-emission reduction.
- Sense of Place — Recognizing excellence in enhancing sense of place and authenticity, including implementing vernacular architecture and design and support for the protection of historical monuments, archaeological sites, cultural events, indigenous heritage and artistic traditions.
- Conserving the Natural World — Recognizing outstanding support for the preservation of nature, restoring natural habitat and protecting rare and endangered species, whether on land or in the oceans.
- Engaging Communities — Recognizing direct and tangible economic and social benefits that improve local livelihoods, including training and capacity building, fair wages and benefits, community development, health care and education.
- Destination Leadership — Recognizing destination leadership, including cities, provinces, states, countries and regions that are demonstrating environmental best practices, protection of cultural and natural heritage, benefits to local communities and educating travelers on the principles of sustainability.
Costas Christ (at top), World Legacy Awards chairman and one of the world’s foremost experts on sustainable tourism offered comment via the press release:
“The World Legacy Awards are unprecedented in their scope — bringing the message of sustainable tourism best practices and shining a light on award winners and finalists to millions of travelers all around the world.”
Finalists will be announced in October 2014 at ITB Asia, and the winners will be announced at a special awards ceremony in March 2015 at ITB Berlin.
For more information about the World Legacy Awards and how to apply, visitwww.nationalgeographic.com/worldlegacyawards.