Where do European bikers like to ride most? According to a top commissioned by online tyre retailer Delticom, their favorite top 10 countries include, in order: Germany, Italy, France, Austria, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Croatia, Spain, Switzerland and Belgium.
Exotic destinations like Chile, Ghana, Indonesia and South Africa made it also to the top, which included 39 favorite countries for motorcycle tours around the world.
“Motorcyclists are true globetrotters,” said Andreas Faulstich, motorcycle tyre specialist at Delticom. “They conquer the world on two wheels. Some of them even plan an extended European or world trip by motorcycle. In all countries there are motorcyclists with destinations overseas, from India to the U.S. to Kenya or Mexico.”
The survey, conducted by the team from moto-tyres.co.uk, Delticom’s tyre specialist for motorcycles, also revealed behavior patterns for a total of 1234 bikers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Italy and the United Kingdom, which participated in the program in June and July, covering a total of approximately 3.4 million kilometres.
Croatia is a favorite mainly for bikers from Austria and Italy, countries close to its borders. The following, are other top bikers’ favorites by country:
- Germany: 1st Germany (29%), 2nd Italy (24%), 3rd France and Austria (11% each)
- Austria: 1st Italy (36%), 2nd Austria (33%), 3rd Croatia (12%)
- Switzerland: 1st Italy and France (29% each), 2nd Switzerland & Germany (10%), 3rd Austria and Spain (6%)
- Netherlands: 1st Germany (35%), 2nd France (13%), 3rd Netherlands (12%)
- France 1st France (74%), 2nd Spain (6%), 3rd Germany and Italy (4% each)
- Italy: 1st Italy (60%), 2nd Spain and Greece (7%), 3rd Croatia (6%)
- UK: 1st United Kingdom / Northern Ireland (52%), France (22%), 3rd Germany (6%)
As you note, most bikers enjoy to explore nearby countries. But there are exceptions to the pattern too: the Dutch travel far, their favorite “far away” destinations being Ghana, Russia and the United States.