Starting tomorrow, September 25th, “World Tourism Day” comes to Heraklion in Crete. Organized by the Region of Crete, the event will open at St. Catherine’s Square with a sanctification by the Archbishop of Crete Reverend Mr Irenaeus.
The, the third successive annual event, will feature musical performances in Freedom Square, exhibitions and other cultural and artistic happenings. To experience some of the best Crete has to offer, Heraklion is the place to be this week.
Just a few of the events scheduled include;
- A performance by the Heraklion Philharmonic from 19.15- 20.15
- Then from 20.15- 21.00: Music and songs from ‘Black Pontian Club of Heraklion
- From 21.00- 21.45 ‘Quintet of the road’ with George Kritsotakis (guitar, vocals), Anna Psychogiou (voice), George Tzortzakis (bass), Chris Zioutas (violin), Efthymis Fasoulakis (drums)
- Next up: Shape ‘Mandoloop’: international repertoire with guitar and mandolin Kontaxakis Michael (mandolin), Voumvoulakis Anthony (guitar)
- And finally, from 22.30-23.15: The International repertoire with: Iris Cigarettes (voice), Voumvoulakis Anthony (guitar)
At Freedom Square visitors to World Tourism Day can enjoy performances from; Petsakis Michael (lute, vocals), George Angelogiannakis (lyre), Kalemakis Fanouris (guitar), Michael Mavrakis (bass), and folk dancing with the ‘Lazarus & Manolis CHNARIS ‘, just to name a couple. A flower exhibition, a traditional costumes exhibition, and dozens of other performances and associated events.
The blessing in St. Catherine’s Square will take place from 18.30 19.00, followed by the Mixed Choir of the Holy Metropolitan Church of Aghios Minas Heraklion. There will also be free entrance to all state archaeological sites and museums within the Regional Unit of Heraklion, on 27 and 28 September.
Photo credit: Archbishop Irenaeus, thanks to John Sanidopoulos , World Tourism Day – courtesy Greek Travel Pages – Headlines.