Earlier this month Switzerland-based cruise MSC Cruises christened the MSC Meraviglia at a ceremony in Le Havre, France highlighted by film legend Sophia Loren. MSC Cruises’ biggest ship ever, the 171,598-ton Meraviglia is a $1 billion dollar, 19 deck supership capable of carrying 5,714 passengers.
Italian icon Sophia Loren cut a blue ribbon to send a bottle of Champagne smashing against the massive hull of the new liner ending a ceremony (below) that included a musical performance by well-known French singer and actor Patrick Bruel and a performance by French pop group Kids United, and a massive fireworks display. Speaking from a stage to more than 2,000 invited guests, MSC Cruises executive chairman Pierfrancesco Vago suggested the vessel was ushering in a new era at the line.
“We have an ambitious vision for the future, and MSC Meraviglia marks the start of the second phase of growth for our company.”
Nineteen decks high and more than 1,000 feet long, Meraviglia is among the top five biggest cruise ships in the world. Among other unique features, the Meraviglia offers an 82-foot-long main pool that the cruise lines say is the most generous poolside space at sea. MSC Meraviglia is able to call in most of the world’s international cruise ports and is set to become one of the hottest destinations at sea. Some of the unique features that set MSC Cruises’ newest flagship apart include:
- World-class entertainment from Cirque du Soleil with two exclusive Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows created just for MSC Meraviglia with two performances six nights a week, guests can enjoy a unique show & dinner or cocktail & show experience
- Widest range of dining options and bars on any MSC Cruises ship to-date with 12 dining venues and 20 bars
- As a family-owned company, kids’ activities and services are at the very core of the guest offering and the dedicated family deck area includes a brand new entertainment offering and cutting-edge facilities for the whole family.
- MSC for Me, the new digital experience designed for guests to get the most out of their vacation, connecting them to the experiences that matter to them
- The MSC Yacht Club with new features and luxurious accommodations spanning three decks, private facilities and butler service round-the-clock
- The longest LED Sky Screen at Sea at 262 feet long encompassing a stunning 315 foot long Mediterranean-style promenade, designed to become the social hub of the ship
- Comfortable and innovative accommodations to meet every need demonstrating the way that MSC Cruises puts the guest at the heart of its designs and ship building and with 10 different types of staterooms to choose from, there really is something for everyone.
MSC currently operates 13 vessels but announced recently plans for at least 10 more ships of up to 200,000 plus tons by 2026. According to the news Sophia Loren was reprising a role she has played many times before, playing godmother once again to MSC ships. The 82-year-old screen star